Wooster Gaming Club

and the rest of John's Assmonkey Puppets

Published by Jeremy on 9/27/2006 08:20:00 PM


It is an hour before I have to go to work, and I have a fucking migrane.

Grandma's PC, that I just built two weeks ago, is already acting up. Two weeks with XP, and she managed to do something that broke the damned boot.ini or the HAL. I just spent a half-hour on the phone attempting to explain to a completly tech illiterate old-person how to change the boot order in CMOS I couldn't see so I could get it to boot to the CD. And that was supposed to be the easy part- I didn't even get to try to explain to her command-line options in the recovery console.

Then I spent another 20 minutes trying to talk down the damage done by the dipshit who she had look at her computer. She had their local "computer guy" poke at it. He works as a tech for one of the companies down there, but he occasionally helps the local neighborhood old people down in that retirement golf-course she lives on.

He knows nothing. My Mom can diagnose hardwre problems more efficiently than this douchebag.

The first thing he told her was that XP couldn't even run on the computer, because it "...only had 64 Meg of memory." The jackass, who didn't even know how to get into CMOS, was reading the VIDEO POST. He apparently didn't notice that this PC was using NVidia brand memory!

Now the first thing that came to mind was "is he just trying to sell her something?" All commercial, Best Buy level techs lie their ass off in order to make a sale. (Commissions do that.) So I probed further. I fully believe he's just good, old fasioned, honestly stupid.

He's not the first person to do this to me, either. When we were building machines for AVNet... a multi-Billion dollar a year company, with over 100,000 clients.... they called us in a panic because we'd supposedly borked up a few hundred clients. One of their HIGHLY PAID TRAVELING PROFESSIONALS, who was flown to Canada to set up a truck full of PCs sent to one of the larger customers, had blown a gasket because the machines weren't configured properly. The 512M machines all had "...only 64 Megs...!" ...of video RAM.



What the fuck am I missing? Seriously? John, you've worked in the industry long enough... I need advice. What lies am I missing on my resumes? How do these overpaid shittards keep getting jobs, while I work at a goddamned hotel? How?