Wooster Gaming Club

and the rest of John's Assmonkey Puppets

Published by Jeremy on 7/13/2008 04:19:00 PM


So I cracked open my laptop today- an HP zv6000 that I'd picked up used a while back.

I'd been wanting to integrate it into my entertainment center as a media player for downloads, YouTube, and the like, but I'd been having some overheating issues. It couldn't play a video file for an hour-and-a-half without behaving funny.

I stripped it down to the motherboard to expose the two system fans and the heat sink- three clusters of brass fins and an air channel. The heat compound was dried into a crunchy glue and needed to be replaced after prying the chip loose. I then scraped enough lint out of the intakes that the resulting ball looked like something I pulled out of the drier.

The result, as might be expected, is enough airflow to actually feel coming out of the vents and a nice, cool-running laptop.

Mission accomplished.

Now, time for some hot. American. Dickings.